"You don't have to brush your teeth - just the ones you want to keep."

Posted on | Tuesday, May 3, 2011 | No Comments

Let me start of this blog post by saying that Kael in no way likes to have his head touched. This includes his face, ears, mouth, and neck. The boy just doesn't dig it. Usually we can bypass this -- brush his teeth while watching a movie, make it a game to wash his hair, heavily sedate him for his haircuts. Okay, maybe not that last one.


Last week, however, Kael and I went to the dentist. It was time for his annual check up. I won't lie, I was dreading it. The last time we went Kael bit one of the hygienists and screamed like he was being murdered. We barely got a glimpse of his teeth.

I am very thankful that I can say this past visit was not nearly as bad. We didn't get any X-rays (darn!), but we got awfully close! He was able to bite down on that butterfly thing-a-ma-bob, wear a leather apron, and sit still all at once; he just refused to do so long enough to get any "pictures" taken. Maybe next year, right?


The one thing that made the biggest difference in all of this was that amazing sucker machine. Kael was entralled by it and willingly got his teeth brushed and fluoride'd (and even let our dentist stick that mirror thing in his mouth) so long as he got to use it.


It also helps that whenever a kiddo goes to see this dentist they get to grab a toy from the toy chest after their exam. Second to the amazing sucker machine this was Kael's favorite part. But no candy, sorry. That would be somewhat counterproductive.

Best news of all? No visible cavities. Of course we do need X-rays to verify there isn't anything creeping under the surface of Kael's pearly whites, but for now I'll take it. And who knows? Maybe next year we'll finally get those X-rays done. With the help of the very awesome sucker machine, naturally.

Comments

About

Photobucket I was born and raised in California. I have also lived in Hungary, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, and I will be moving again this summer. Kael is my incredibly awesome kiddo who is growing up far too quickly, and Alex is my fiance who makes me happier than should be legally allowed. I write about them a lot. I'm mildly obsessed with cooking and photography. I write about those things, too.

Followers