Ten things

Posted on | Sunday, May 22, 2011 | 1 Comment

Normally on Sundays I find ten pictures of different things that I find cute or lovely and I share them along with a short commentary. Today is a bit different, I'm not going to post ten things I love. I'm going to do a gratitude post instead. Life has been very hectic and upsetting this week. Very much at-the-end-of-my-rope-tie-a-knot-and-hang-on kind of week. I'm holding on, and I know it's going to get easier very soon, but it's still been incredibly difficult to focus on that fact.


So today I shall remind myself of at least ten good things I have in my life right now (even if some of them are horribly obvious). No pictures this week, since some of these things don't have pictures to go with them.

1. Movement. Today Kael and I went on a 4.5 mile long walk. We walked to the park and played, then walked further down the road to Starbucks where we bought two huge waters and a doughnut for the little man. I forget sometimes that not everyone would find this amazing, but I certainly do. There are times that walking from the kitchen to my bed is a challenge, what a wonderful thing it is for me to be able to spend four hours outside with my son as we played, even if I am a bit sore and tired now.

2. Rain. We had an incredible storm roll through earlier this week as some of you may remember me blogging about. The much needed rain brought with it lush greens and vibrant colors. Although Oklahoma isn't in a drought like Texas, it still tends to only have a short lived season of greenery and it's so nice to have that back, if only for a little bit.

3. Surrender. That is such a powerful word. To let go of the things I cannot change or control and focus on what is within my ability. I'm so fortunate to have people in my life that remind me of that. I need to let go of the fact that a lot is happening around me and I cannot be in charge of it all, even if I try.

4. Friends. I don't give them enough credit. I truly don't. I have so many people who love me and care for me. Friends far and wide who make me feel connected and grounded and loved. I would be lost without such a backbone of support. I can only hope I am as good of a friend to them as they have been to me.

5. Alex. He is a freaking rockstar. He really, really is. He kicks butt at work and has made it possible for me to stay home with Kael after the move. He's got our house in fabulous shape and snubbed his nose at the rules of physics whilst getting our fridge inside the kitchen (I'll let him exlain that sometime later). He has been amazing at keeping me calm and centered through all of this. Seriously, a freaking rock. star.

6. Kael. He has been pushing me this week. Doing things that he normally wouldn't do (running off the moment I look away, throwing toys, being physically aggressive with anything that moves or breathes). I've caught myself asking, "Where is my little boy? Who is this child?!" But I have forgotten to focus. He still cuddles me in the morning. He kisses my boo-boos after calming down from a tantrum. He is still just a sweet as he ever was, he just needs more from me right now.

7. Coffee. Yes, this naturally made the list. While living in Hungary coffee became integral to daily life. It was almost ritualistic. Piping hot espresso served in a shot glass, a cube of sugar, and a few moments of quite reflection. Sipping my coffee is like a quiet pause in my day to reflect and think. It's lovely that I can have that.

8. Perspective. I complain about my toilet acting up, or that packing my apartment is stressful and taxing... but I should think of these things with perspective. I have a home to pack. I have clean running water. I don't have to wonder where my next meal will be coming from. While my life is difficult, no doubt, having the reminder of how my life could be makes me grateful for everything I do have.

9. Faith. I have been failing at letting go of things. I have to remind myself to lean on God and to be at peace with whatever He has planned for me. I am so grateful to have my faith and sunch a powerful moral compass that guides me. I don't know what kind of person I would be -- or how I would cope -- if it weren't for my ability to give things to God when they become too much. It's such a glorious gift.

10. My life in general. I am so blessed. More than I realize most of the time. My life is amazing and rich and I couldn't be happier. Alright, maybe I could be happier. If I could snap my fingers and have this move over and done with. Or if I could wiggle my nose and have all the stressors of my life melt away. I would probably explode with joy if that happened. But that would be messy.

Comments

One Response to “Ten things”

  1. April Kuper
    May 23, 2011 at 11:36 AM

    I found your blog by accident (I was looking for a shoe game that I played with the kids I taught in Hungary) - and I am so drawn to Hungary & all things Hungarian, that I just had to comment! It's been 20 years since I lived there, but I still miss it! Koszonom!

About

Photobucket I was born and raised in California. I have also lived in Hungary, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, and I will be moving again this summer. Kael is my incredibly awesome kiddo who is growing up far too quickly, and Alex is my fiance who makes me happier than should be legally allowed. I write about them a lot. I'm mildly obsessed with cooking and photography. I write about those things, too.

Followers