These are not the best biscuits in the world, they are merely a tribute.

Posted on | Monday, January 17, 2011 | No Comments

I woke this morning and I wanted biscuits. I needed biscuits. Light, warm, fluffy pieces of floury wonderment. Normally I'm a Pillsbury kinda girl. Unroll the can, plop them on the baking sheet, wait ten minutes and your done. Except, I didn't have any on hand today. And I really didn't feel like wrestling Kael into presentable clothing just to go buy some.


That's when the thought struck me: why don't I just make my own? They can't be that hard. C'mon, they're biscuits! After some quick Googling confirming this assumption I went to my fridge and pantry to collect my ingredients. If I can make cookies and hollandaise sauce I certainly can make a batch of biscuits from scratch.

They are the easiest ingredients ever, by the way. You don't even need eggs or a mixer! Fabulous. Pretend that my salt is in the picture though, you kinda need it. Unless you enjoy bland tasting biscuits.

Mix the dry ingredients together (1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour, 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1 teaspoon of salt) and then cut in six tablespoons of butter. You're going for something that resembles coarse crumbs at this stage.

Add your 3/4 cup of milk and mix together until the it's just combined. I ended up needing a bit more milk (maybe a few tablespoons) to get all the dry ingredients mixed properly. Be careful not to over mix the dough, or you'll be serving flat depressing biscuits. And no one likes a depressing biscuit.

Roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and cut out the biscuits. I don't have a biscuit cutter-thingy, so I improvised with one of Kael's kiddie cups. Worked pretty well, although there was some trial-and-error involved in transferring them to the baking sheet without a gigantic mess being made. Two biscuits lost their lives before I got the technique down to a science.

After you bake these fellas for 10-15 minutes and 450 degrees they will look like this. Light, flaky, and delicious. Notice the practice biscuits in the background. They were still yummy, if a bit malformed. Most definitely the perfect accompaniment to my breakfast. And my lunch. I think I might have grabbed one to go along with dinner too...

Now that I think of it maybe I should make another batch before bed so I can take some to work with me in the morning.

Comments

About

Photobucket I was born and raised in California. I have also lived in Hungary, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, and I will be moving again this summer. Kael is my incredibly awesome kiddo who is growing up far too quickly, and Alex is my fiance who makes me happier than should be legally allowed. I write about them a lot. I'm mildly obsessed with cooking and photography. I write about those things, too.

Followers