Save the Ta-Ta's!

Posted on | Monday, September 27, 2010 | No Comments

I feel horrible, I had no idea that the local Race For The Cure was in two weeks. Dropping the ball much?

October 9th is the Susan G. Komen Race For the Cure run here in the Oklahoma City metro area. I might be late registering, but I'll be doing the 5k untimed with a group of friends (and Kael!) as we walk to help beat breast cancer, raise money, and raise awareness. My grandmother is a breast cancer survivor, and I have lost family and friends alike to cancer in its various forms. Raising awareness and helping those who are fighting this disease is something that hits home for me. From the Komen.org website -

For more than 25 years, Komen for the Cure has played a critical role in every major advance in the fight against breast cancer – transforming how the world talks about and treats this disease, and helping to turn millions of breast cancer patients into breast cancer survivors.

Over the next 25 years, an estimated 25 million women around the world will be diagnosed with breast cancer if we don't find a cure. Komen will not stop until we discover and deliver the cures. That’s our promise.

Next week starts Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Wear pink (or lightish red). Donate; be it time, money, or simply sharing your experiences. For the longest time cancer was something we didn't talk about. There was little that could be done, but slowly research and foundations such as Komen are working to change that. It's baby steps, but maybe within my lifetime they'll be a cure for cancer.

My goal is to raise $125 for the walk. Two weeks isn't much time but I think I can do it. Here is a link to my donation page, if anyone is interested.

Comments

About

Photobucket I was born and raised in California. I have also lived in Hungary, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, and I will be moving again this summer. Kael is my incredibly awesome kiddo who is growing up far too quickly, and Alex is my fiance who makes me happier than should be legally allowed. I write about them a lot. I'm mildly obsessed with cooking and photography. I write about those things, too.

Followers